Rejuvenating Reading



While I was on the Cross Sound Ferry going to New York and back to New England, I had lots of time to read my book. It is called The Tipping Point, written by Malcolm Gladwell. It is simply an excellent book. It talks all about how certain things in society can become really popular (like an "epidemic"). For example, the TV show Sesame Street was not always popular. The author discusses the different factors that lead to an event, person, or fad becoming really popular...think about today's society. Ipods were not always so popular. It took certain factors for these products to become popular: cool people using them, lots of people using them, usefulness, convenience, etc. Once these factors occurred, Ipods became a "fad," where today so many people use them.

In this book, I have learned that so many things around us in daily life - everything from DVD players to Ipods to Crocs (plastic shoes...maybe I will make them popular?) may or may not become very popular, based on certain people and certain factors. It's very interesting....and if nothing else, they mention Paul Revere (which we will study in the 7th grade). See how interested I am in reading my book? You should make the effort to do the same!

Hopefully you have started or finished 12 Again by Sue Corbett, our all-school book. You have done that, right? I have already finished the book - I did so in the springtime, and I loved it. It reminds everyone to not take your life for granted - and be happy with what you have (among many other lessons, of course...). If you have not yet gotten it, they have copies in the Young Adult section of the Medfield Public Library...I have seen them there with my own eyes! Go ask a librarian there for help...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maslow's Hierarchy of School Needs (Steve Guditus)

37 inspirational ideas to kickoff your school year (Steve Guditus @sguditus)

Educator Evaluation Process: It's About Growth and Reflection @sguditus