Massachusetts Senate Race - January 19, 2010
With the upcoming Massachusetts Senate election on Tuesday, January 19, things have heated up across the Commonwealth (and the national peanut gallery has been growing). My own political interest is in overdrive, so receiving three to four calls nightly about the election is exciting! Our students need to be aware of the statewide, national and historical importance of this election, so I created some materials to use in my 7th and 8th grade Social Studies classes.
Below, I have shared four documents that I will be using in different capacities with my students. Please feel free to use and adapt them for your own classroom and students as appropriate. Any ideas, lesson plans or reactions, please pass them along, email me, tweet me, or comment on this blog post!
- Grid of candidates on the views
- Venn Diagram to process information
- Explanation of federal and state jurisdictions - from about.com
- 17th Amendment (calls for special election)
- Recent Yahoo! News article on state election as proxy for healthcare debate
- Homework: Interview an adult about the election