Basketball as Learning

Last night, our PTO hosted the second annual staff basketball game between the faculties of the two middle schools in our district: Stony Brook vs. Blanchard.  Being a runner and not an athlete with much coordination at all, basketball is definitely out of my comfort zone.  As soon as I stepped foot on the court, I realized I was in for a steep learning curve!  Being thrust into the role of a struggling learner (struggling to play basketball), I was humbly reminded of the challenges so many of our students face every single day to learn the skills and content the 21st century requires.  I found myself taking away a few important lessons about teaching and learning from basketball:
  1. Meet your students where they're at: When I couldn't make a throw from the 3-point line, Amanda suggested "Why don't you start a little closer, Steve?" 
  2. Provide a model for students: Watching Katie and Justin make nearly every basket gave me a expert model for learning.
  3. Remind students of the goal: Scott and Bev reminded me, every time I played, who/where I was supposed to guard.
  4. Celebrate small successes: Though I am an awful player, when Stephanie and Dianna gave me high fives, it made all the difference to keep on trying.
  5. Provide constant feedback: After I returned to the bench, Beth continued to tell me how to improve what I was doing.
  6. Everybody deserves a cheerleader: As I ran past the SB bench, Alyssa and Kim continued to encourage me to try my best.
  7. Everyone deserves a second chance: With sufficient practice, I know Coach Cohen will give me another opportunity (or two) to show my new knowledge and understanding!
Image Credit: http://www.iloveclipart.com/images/free-basketball-clip-art.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maslow's Hierarchy of School Needs (Steve Guditus)

37 inspirational ideas to kickoff your school year (Steve Guditus @sguditus)

Educator Evaluation Process: It's About Growth and Reflection @sguditus