Once A Teacher, Always A Teacher

Recently, I had the opportunity to teach all the six graders in my school. We needed to roll out Google Apps for Education, and I was able to match up my schedule with the student schedule with the computer lab schedule – a feat in itself, for sure!

What a great two days I had spending time with middle school. I got to see students through another lens, and be reminded of how exciting and nerve-racking it can be to facilitate learning. It was a wonderful day for several reasons, but especially because I got to spend a lot of facetime with students, focused on teaching and learning. A close second, however, was a reminder of all of the pressures, stressors, excitements and decisions that educators have to make every day. Did I remember to restate the objective, every day and every period? Was I sure that I was accommodating for each student in the class needed something a little different? Was a meeting students needs who needed to get the scaffolding? Was I holding the students back were ready to keep on going? Don't forget to monitor the conflict between those two students...

Throughout the first day there were a series of different teachers who work in the classroom support students. At the end of the day, I sought them out and asked, "How did it go? What do you think? Any feedback? Is there a better way that I could do that tomorrow?" One teacher suggested it might be helpful to have a visual to go along with my verbal directions – of course! Why didn't I think of that before I started? So, the next morning on Day Two, I frantically typed up step-by-step directions. I went running out of the office, photocopies hanging on my arm and flying down the hallway, while the teacher was holding the class waiting for me.

A few lessons learned:
1. Be flexible.
2. We teach kids first - about content/skills.
3. Students have strengths and weaknesses in various areas - no one is all one way across the board.
4. Teachers have a really, really tough job.
5. Teachers have a really, really great job.
6. Asking for and receiving feedback is helpful.  It feels good to focus on growing and improving.
7. Reflection is key - be it formal or informal, always work to grow and improve.
8. Always have a Plan B.  (And C.)
9. The capacity and eagerness to learn is a beautiful thing.  Respect it.
10. Educators must take care of themselves to take care of others!  

Until the next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maslow's Hierarchy of School Needs (Steve Guditus)

37 inspirational ideas to kickoff your school year (Steve Guditus @sguditus)

Educator Evaluation Process: It's About Growth and Reflection @sguditus